Tuesday 22 March 2011

Quiet Days

Days like today I call “Quiet Days”.  As in, when someone asks what you did today, you reply, “we had a nice quiet day at home.”  Meaning you didn’t go anywhere and presumably things were quiet.  I call them quiet days when Mark is working and we don’t have anywhere to go.  It’s just me, Ryder and our four furry friends.  To clarify, it’s not that my husband is particularly noisy.  In fact he’s definitely the quiet one in the house.  It’s just that when he’s working a day shift (only happens twice out of every eight days) there’s no schedule to keep, and usually no errands to run.  The dogs take it pretty easy these days too.  It’s almost like they know I’ve got my hands full with the little one and a walk is out of the question.  There’s also a good possibility that the house won’t be as quiet as when Mark is home.  I often have music playing or the television on loud enough to hear it over the music coming from all of our son’s toys playing simultaneously.  I sing, we dance, we play and we giggle.  It can be loud… not quiet at all.  I love it!
I was looking forward to today since we haven’t had a “quiet day” for a few weeks.  With Mark on holidays and then sick, he’s been home a lot lately.  I’ve been so thankful for him being home.  It’s meant that a lot more stuff around the house gets done.  It’s been great, truly, it has.  But now it’s time to get back to our normal routine.  :o)
We had fun playing with my cameras today.  I’m glad I have two because as soon as I would pick one up Ryder wanted the other one.  It’s mostly the lens cap that he wants to eat, and today he tried feeding it to Luke.  Everyone was in good spirits and when nap time came, Ryder fell fast asleep; the dogs interpreted my stern voice as “she means business” and obeyed when I told them “It’s quiet time.”  And it was.  The house was quiet for the first time on our “Quiet Day”.  I got some work done and tidied up after our morning of fun.

 
These are the simple things in life I enjoy so much.  I love these days, not just the “quiet” ones, all of them.  While Mark and I got away this past weekend for a night I was surprised at how much I missed my son.  I missed feeding him, hearing his laugh and even just carrying him on my hip.  It was only one night but I grew a new appreciation for all that I have and all that I am grateful for.  Tonight* I am grateful for so much.  I have the most amazing family.  I love them all.
*I wrote this post last night and had trouble connecting to the Internet.  After an hour of trying I decided it wasn't worth the effort and went to bed :).  Woke up this morning and Internet was restored!

2 comments:

  1. That is so true - the simple things in life are things we should cherish and be grateful for. Time together. Great pictures. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for sharing this with us. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete