Wednesday 16 March 2011

Why Blog?

My initial thought is that I want my very own place to share memories.  I want to post pictures attached to cute stories.  Not only do I want to share but I want to keep.  First off, I’m kind of a pack rat.  Even when I was little I hated to throw things out because I didn’t want to hurt the feelings of the person who gave it to me.  I’m still that way except now that I am a mother I don’t want to throw away anything that my son has touched, chewed, drooled on or looked at.  I’m afraid to lose the memories.  I want to keep everything.  I have a drawer full of things that have no home.  My son’s first soother was pink.  It was a part of a shower gift from my dearest friend and it came in handy when my son was a week old and wouldn’t settle when we put him in his bassinet.  So out came the soother.  It came in a pack of two and one was pink and one was blue.  When we were out of the house the blue one came with us but at home we used the pink one.  One night my husband was taking pictures of our son in his bassinet happily sucking his pink soother.  I laughed and said don’t show that picture to anyone.  A boy can’t be seen with a pink soother!  We are new parents and our every move is highly scrutinized (at least that is how I feel at this point) and a pink doo-tee (as it came to be known) was surely a sign we had no idea what we were doing.  I laugh now because it seems so silly and that pink doo-tee is in the drawer with all the things I can’t throw away.


My second reason for wanting to start a blog is to relieve that pressure in my brain that is constantly thinking about things I want to blog about!  I can be doing the simplest thing and think of way if could be worked into a blog entry.  It’s like constantly thinking about what your Facebook status should be. ;)  I figure sitting down on the computer and typing out a blog will be a more resourceful use of my time then posting on Facebook.  I have issues with Facebook on a few levels but still find it essential in my daily life for communicating with friends and sharing photos (so I’m not knocking it).  One of my problems is that it is not a great place to record memories.  It’s great for pictures but when I post a story to my status it eventually moves down my wall and off the page and really never to be seen again.  I realize it’s still there but if in four years my son is off to school and I want to get nostalgic for the times when he was only a year old I won’t want to be looking through pages and pages of my Facebook wall.  And that’s fine.  I don’t believe Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook with the intention that it was going to be an online scrapbook.  It has its purpose and a blog has its own. 
And lastly, I love reading blogs.  I’ve found some really great ones that I read regularly.  Occasionally I’ll find a random blog and how fun it is to read about what someone else is doing a world away from me or perhaps even in my own city.  The nice thing about a blog is you read it because you want to.  :o)
I hope you enjoy.

~Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great you are blogging! I can't wait to read them all. Love you. Mom xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa. I also agree that it is great. You obviously havn't lost your way with words. I am looking forward to keeping up with your online diary. I love it.

    ReplyDelete